History Curriculum Intent
At Nicol Mere, we aim to offer a history curriculum that develops our children’s understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world. We aim to inspire children’s curiosity of the past and help them to develop key skills to develop a deep understanding of people’s lives, the process of change, the diversity of societies and our own identity.
We want our children to know and appreciate how great our country is through leaning about its history as a coherent, chronological narrative, from the earliest times to the present day: how people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world.
Our children will develop skills to help them become historians; learning to enquire, to ask and answer questions about historical artefacts, and to discern how and why contrasting arguments and interpretations of the past have been constructed.
• To provide an engaging curriculum that is board, balanced and progressive.
• To provide our children with a variety of sequenced knowledge.
• To develop progressive skills in chronological understanding, historical enquiry, historical interpretation, the knowledge of continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity and difference, diversity, and significant people/events.
• To promote our school values which are closely linked to British values.
• To offer children new and exciting experiences and opportunities.
• To prepare our children for the next steps in their learning journey.
Nicol Mere History Curriculum